Tuesday, August 23, 2016

little treasures in my room

Hey everyone!

Sorry I wasn't able to post yesterday but I had just gotten back from Bogotá and saying goodbye to some people that are very important to me, so I wasn't really feeling my best. That being said, I have (I think) a pretty cool post to share today, so I hope you enjoy it.

 I believe rooms say a lot about a person: the way they are decorated, how messy or organized they are, and the little things hidden in the drawers only the owner knows about, all have something to say about us and our personalities. I love spending time in my room because I've created my own personal space I feel comfortable in, and I can just leave the rest of the world outside for a while when I am here. I have really worked on making my room my space since I was very young and it really does hold objects with a lot of sentimental value. Some of them are meaningful due to the story behind them, and some of them are just pretty rare or weird. When I invite people over, especially if it is their first time in my room, I have noticed they all love to explore and ask about different objects that catch their attention. I want to share with you guys a few of the"treasures" in my room that I think are cool and interesting, and that people that come here are usually curious and want to know more about. 

Before we start, I actually have been wanting to make this post since June 2015 but I believe right now, a few days before leaving for college, is a more appropriate time as I have been feeling sort of nostalgic about leaving my room and everything it represents behind. Most of these pictures were taken last year, except for the recent one of my cactus, Becca.

1. Becca the cactus

Becca was a gift my boyfriend gave me on our one year anniversary back in November 2014. I called her Becca because that is Nicole Kidman's character's name in Rabbit Hole, a film I watched when we had just started dating and that reminds me a lot about that time in my life and how I felt at the end of 2013. The first picture of Becca was taken in June 2015 and the second one I took yesterday, so August 2016. Look how much she has grown! For a while we thought she was going to die because part of her was brown and looked pretty dead to us, even though we are not plant experts. I really tried taking good care of her and she is looking very alive and well!




2. Why Wait? wall decoration

I got this in spring of 2015, an amazing time period for me; it was full of change and some disappointments but it was still a fun time. I really enjoyed this time of my life and I have some amazing memories from when I bought this decoration. I had recently been to a party in which I fell down pretty badly because it was so dark: I still have the scar in my left leg to this day and I kind of love it. It may sound weird but it is a nice looking scar and I like the story behind it. I had also recently watched Cinderella and worn one of my favorite American Apparel dresses and my Phoenix jacket to the theater because it was raining that day. Good times, you guys.




3. Stingray tooth

Yup. I own a real stingray tooth. How cool is that? A Sea World employee gave it to me because I was "very brave" and feed the stingrays for like two hours. I'm actually a little obsessed with stingrays, I think they are super adorable and I just want to pet them all day long. This is probably one of my most prized possessions. I remember I asked my mom to keep it in her wallet so I would not lose it and could still ride on all of the attractions. That being said, I do not condone animal abuse in any way, and I am now aware of the truth behind Sea World: the fact that I have amazing memories from the last time I went there, two years ago, does not mean I will return or that I would recommend anyone to go either.




4. Dinosaur figures

I actually found them in the trash at my school, but they were part of my boyfriend's science fair project (he had to build like a rollercoaster and the dinosaurs were decorations). When I saw the rollercoaster next to a trashcan at school I immediately took some of the dinosaurs because ever since he first showed me his project I really wanted to have them. I just think this is a very funny story! Also, anyone who knows me, knows I love dinosaurs ever since I was a kid and watched Jurassic Park. By the way, these figures are another nice memory from spring of 2015.



5. Matryoshka doll (I guess?)

I think I got this when I was in 9th grade, but I don't quite remember the story too well. I just saw it in my favorite store at the time, which is unfortunately closed now (at least in Cali). I think it is very cool and I love the surprised expression on the last doll as if she had just noticed someone was watching her as she undressed.




6. Frida Kahlo pillow

This is another gift from my boyfriend I received on spring of 2015. Told you guys, it was a pretty great time. We were just hanging out and decided to go inside a cute store for kids I really like because of the decor things they have, and he got this pillow for me there. I love it, and I love Frida Kahlo ever since I was in second grade.


Behind her are some Chick Corea concert tickets. I may or may not have fallen asleep during that concert.



She has yellow underwear, in case you were wondering. I know I did.

7. Panic button!

I got this at the Barnes & Nobel in Union Square in Manhattan, I think, in summer 2014. It's pretty awesome and people love touching it.




8. Stingray stuffed animal

I got this at Sea World too, with the tooth I wrote about above. It came with a giant lollipop which I gave to my brother because I'm not into them. I just wanted a stingray stuffed animal that was cute and small, and this one is perfect. I just really like stingrays and dinosaurs you guys.




Look at the cute little details! :3

So what did you guys think? What are some treasures you keep in your room? Please let me know in the comments! Thanks so much for reading!

Maria



1 comment:

  1. Qué riquezas maravillosas tienes en tu habitación. Cuando empecé a leerte me di cuenta q guardo lindos recuerdos conmigo, me acabo de trastear de casa y encontré tesoros, uno realmente valioso, son unas cartas escritas por mis sobrinos. Leerte siempre es un placer

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every single comment! Thank you so much for taking the time! I love reading your thoughts and opinions. :)