Wednesday, March 11, 2015

tips for handling stress



Life can be pretty stressful when you're a high school student. Yes, you don't have to pay taxes or take care of babies, but you are required to handle seven or eight hours of school, a bunch of homework and any extracurricular activities you are involved in. It gets particularly stressful when you actually want to do well in school because it is not easy to get excellent grades in eight different classes. Another major source of stress is thinking about the future and getting into university and all of that. Adults always try to make it seem like high school is so easy, and it looks like they either forgot everything about high school or competition was just very different when they were teenagers.

I'm a very anxious person, and my anxiety only gets worse when I'm overloaded with school work because I stress out and it gets really hard for me to handle my stress. Different people have given me tips on how to control my stress, and, even though I don't always follow them, some of them have been very helpful.

I still don't have the key to being stress-free or anything like that. Honestly, I don't believe there is a way to be absolutely stress-free, but you can learn how to control your stress and make it into something useful, not harmful. Please note that I'm not a doctor... I'm just a 17-year-old, and this is what works for me.

1. Breathe and clear your mind

When something unpleasant/unplanned happens and you feel yourself start to stress out, you should close your eyes and breathe. This will help you calm down and think clearly, and, consequently, approach things with a clear mind and a more objective point of view. I understand you feel like it's the end of the world, but it really isn't! I know it's hard, but try to think as rationally as possible.

2. Do whatever has to be done

Don't let stress overcome you. If there is a way (and there probably is) of changing your current situation/fixing a problem, actually try to accomplish this! See things for what they are, not for what you believe they are, if that makes any sense. Be a realist, be a problem solver, and keep an open mind. Even if you are dealing with a problem that seems impossible to fix, look for alternatives and do not be a pessimist.

3. You are stronger than you think you are

My boyfriend says he believes stress is a vice. I agree with him in the sense that we usually take stress as something inevitable and that has power over us. Even though I said I believed it's impossible to be completely stress-free, I also believe that you can change and you can learn how to handle your stress better.

4. Ask for help

Talk about what's stressing you out with someone close to you and that you know can offer their help. Somebody that cares for you will try to help you.

However, you should never let someone convince you that your problems are insignificant and that it makes no sense for you to feel stressed out. Some people might think this helps relieve someone's stress, but it really doesn't. Today, for example, someone I know was trying to make me feel bad about the way I manage my time, because, obviously, since I don't do sports or play piano, there is no reason for me to not have enough time to get everything done and still get eight hours of sleep every night. Well, not only do I do all of my homework and study really hard, but I'm also learning Italian, doing everything that has to be done to get into the university of my dreams next year, and managing this blog. My point is, nobody should tell you how to feel or say your life is easy. Your life and your problems are nobody's business so they should not judge you.

~~~

After a stressful day or week, you should always look for ways to let everything out, so you don't accumulate the stress.

1. Do something you love

Play an instrument, sing, dance, draw, write, or do anything else that makes you feel happy.

2. Take a relaxing bath/shower

This is my favorite thing to do! It makes you feel so fresh and relaxed.

3. Drink tea

For some reason, a hot cup of tea can always make me feel better about life.

4. Spend time with the people you love

Go out with them and do something you truly enjoy. Personally, hanging out with large groups of people or going to parties stresses me out, so I would much rather have some coffee or go to the movies.


I hope you guys find these tips helpful!

Do you have any tips for managing stress?


Maria


2 comments:

  1. Really great tips! Taking a bath and reading always seems to help me when i'm stressed.

    Renee
    www.losetheroad.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found them helpful!

      Delete

I appreciate every single comment! Thank you so much for taking the time! I love reading your thoughts and opinions. :)