I made this playlist in Journalism class, it is "inspired on the feelings i get when listening to all of a sudden i miss everyone. these are the songs i listen to when i'm lonely and trying to romanticise my loneliness. they're also the songs i listen to when i'm lonely even though i don't want to be."
Friday, January 30, 2015
Saturday, January 24, 2015
I've been really into floral prints lately, so yesterday I basically decided to mix three different floral patterns I thought looked nice together. I just love the spring vibe this outfit has~
Kimono from Brandy Melville
Skirt/short from Urban Outfitters
Top from Urban Outfitters
Bag from Kate Spade
My mom was looking through some old stuff and she found some interesting things, including a self-portrait I sketched when I was in 5th grade. Six years ago! It makes me feel so old! I used to like drawing a lot when I was younger, even though I'm not good at it. I just did it for fun though, and I kind of regret stopping. I thought this particular self-portrait was funny because I can actually see some resemblance... maybe it's the eyebrows.
She also found a poem I wrote when I was 13 years old. It's in Spanish, but I thought maybe someone could be interested in reading my seventh grade poetry, so here it is:
Saturday, January 17, 2015
Here's the thing: I don't like wearing pants. It gets very hot where I live (it's usually around 90 degrees Fahrenheit), so, naturally, I dislike wearing long pants. I just find them really uncomfortable because they make me feel suffocated and sweat a lot, and that's the exact opposite of what I want to feel when it's 90 degrees! Consequently, I like shorts, skirts and dresses, which go better with the climate, at least in my opinion. So yeah. I live in the tropic. I like short stuff.
HOWEVER, my school has a dress code. I personally find all dress codes to be ridiculous. If I were to write my school's dress code, I would only have two rules and I'm pretty sure everyone would adhere to them without complaint:
1. Don't go completely naked to school. I would personally never think of doing this because I'm just not that comfortable with my body. If someone wants to go completely naked to school... well, I don't think anyone would, to be honest. I mean, we have been taught that it's not okay to go out in public naked since we were little, so it's basically an implicit cultural aspect and I think it's very unlikely someone would like to go against it. I don't know about the people at your school but, knowing my classmates, I'm almost 100% sure none would want to go naked to school. They are too afraid to wear anything that's slightly out of the "ordinary", so I would be EXTREMELY shocked. Anyway, there actually isn't even a rule in our school's dress code that explicitly says you can't go naked to school. Does this means you technically can? I don't know. I think it's illegal to go in public naked, though. Don't get me wrong, I in no way want to discourage nudity. Nudity is awesome. I find this to be the appropriate time to say #freethenipple.
2. Don't wear hats when you are sitting in a classroom and there's people behind you, because they won't be able to see. This is the only occasion were clothes actually disrupt the learning environment. I'm sorry *whoever made up my school's dress code*, but my short shorts do NOT disrupt the learning environment, they are in no way blocking anyone's view or making loud noises.
Now, here are some of my school's actual dress rules that I would like to point out:
- Students must wear shoes that guarantee their safety. I literally just laughed out loud. This one's so funny because I don't even know what they mean. The only time I fractured my leg I was wearing tennis shoes and I'm guessing those are considered "safe" shoes.
- No low cut shirts. Shirt cannot be transparent. Bra straps should not show. Belly buttons must be covered.
- Shorts or skirts that are "too short"are not allowed. Wow, so objective. I totally share your definition of "too short". They have tried to *orally* specify this one at times, but it's just so confusing I don't wear shorts at all because I don't want to risk it.
- The excessive use of jewellery is not permitted. I swear I didn't even know this one existed. What even?
- Guys can't have ear piercings.
- No visible piercings.
- No visible tattoos.
- Students can't grow a beard or moustache. Teachers totes can tho.
- You can die your hair if it's a uniform and natural color. The only colors allowed are: black, blonde, brown and NATURAL LOOKING red. Sorry, no pink hair.
- No exaggerated hair styles.
- Boys can't have long hair. I hate this one so much. My brother used to have long hair (not that long but longer than all of the other boys) and this one teacher used to bug him so much because of it that he ended up cutting it.
All of these rules are just ridiculous to me. What's the point? I KNOW many people make up reasons why they consider dress codes to be valid or important. I've probably heard them all, but none of them make sense to me. I'm sorry, don't even waste your time trying to convince me. I'm aware that right now it is not socially acceptable to wear short shorts to nice or "important" places. Please, just take a few minutes to google the evolution of what clothes weren't socially acceptable before but are now. Society has changed. My point is, we have the power to change things. Our generation can just decide to make something socially acceptable and it WILL become socially acceptable over time. Traditions change all the time when we decide to change them. Let's stop making such a big deal out of the human body. Let's stop being ridiculous and categorising women as sluts because the show "too much" of their *gasp* legs. Let's just let people wear what they feel comfortable wearing! Let's stop teaching little kids that it is okay to judge someone because they are wearing something "revealing". Let's stop slut shaming, let's stop victim blaming, let's make the world a happier place. Love, don't judge.
I really dislike not being able to wear shorts (I think I've repeated this like a thousand times, sorry). We don't even have seasons here, it's just a permanent summer all year long. If the dress code didn't exist I would wear shorts all the time, I'm not even kidding. If I break the dress rules they'll just send me home (please remind me how wearing short shorts "disrupts" the learning environment but restricting a student from attending school for a whole day doesn't?). After realising regular jeans are just not my thing, I decided to start wearing sweatpants. Then I incorporated leggings in my wardrobe, when I finally felt comfortable enough with my body to wear them. But I have recently found the love of my life: American Apparel's high waisted easy jeans. Oh my. I'm not trying to make propaganda for American Apparel, but they are so damn comfortable. So easy to get into, so stretchy, so nice. They come in different colors and it's so easy for me to make fun outfits I actually like with them. I don't know. I just felt like sharing my love for them. They make me happy and I like stuff that makes me happy, and that could potentially make others happy as well.
This was a long intro, sorry if it annoyed you. If you don't agree with anything I said, that's fine, I don't have to know. I really don't want to start a debate here, so if your thoughts are completely different to mine just ignore all of this and move on with your life. I respect your opinions, but I really don't want this to turn into a debate.
Shoutout to my mom for the pictures. Shoutout to my cat for being the cutest.
Blouse from Barneys New York
Pants: American Apparel
Sun glasses: Urban Outfitters
Ignore my under eye circles please.
Shirt: Brandy Melville
Pants: American Apparel
Boots: Dr. Marten's
Hat: Urban Outfitters
Necklace: Forever 21
It actually rained this week, so I got the chance to wear a SWEATER, OMG. I love sweaters so much! I wish I could wear them everyday! This one is from Brandy Melville and I think it's really nice and cozy. I decided to take a picture of it (it was hard). Okay, long story short: I realised how nice the pictures looked when I put a bunch of little random stuff on top of the sweater. I don't even know. So I decided to use this as a chance to show y'all some of my current favorite accessories/things.